Friday 30 May 2014

Recipe || Salted Caramel Butterfly Cakes




The weekend I was bored out of my mind, I'd watched every YouTube video I could, I'd read a whole book and I'd killed the battery on my iPod; there was only one thing for it, I had to bake. I'm a massive fan of baking, I've been helping my mum to bake cakes and to bake my own for as long as I can remember but recently I haven't been baking as much due to the fact I've had exams (so I haven't had time) and also I've been trying to eat as healthily as possible, cake not quite falling into that category. However, last weekend I just thought to myself "You know what? F**k it!" and I came up with these super simple but delicious butterfly cakes.

Ingredients for the sponge

  • 90g softened butter
  • 90g caster sugar
  • 90g self raising flour
  • 2tbsp milk
  • 2 medium eggs
Ingredients for the buttercream

  • 65g softened butter
  • 120g icing sugar
  • 1tbsp milk
  • 50g salted caramel sauce
  • 1tsp salt

Instructions

  1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (or 160 fan forced). Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper or foil cases.
  2. Beat all the ingredients for the sponge together until they're light, fluffy and fully combined.
  3. Divide the mixture evenly between the cases and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out of the middle completely clean.
  4. Leave the cakes until they are completely cool - this could take around 3/4 of an hour, but you need to be patient, as they cannot be cut or decorated until they're completely cool.
  5. Meanwhile, make the buttercream. Carefully beat together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy, then add in the salted caramel sauce and beat until combined. Leave aside until you need to use it, but don't put it in the fridge.
  6. When the cakes are cool, take a bread knife and board and carefully cut the tops off the cake, then cutting them in half to make the butterfly wings.
  7. Spread the buttercream all over the tops of the cakes and place the 'wings' on top so that from a birds eye view, they look just like butterflies.

These cakes are so tasty and simple to make. I really like to eat them with a cup of green tea at around 4pm, as if I'm having a posh afternoon tea!



If you liked this post and want to see more, please follow me on Bloglovin' for more posts like this!

Follow on Bloglovin











0 comments:

Post a Comment